A retired brigadier general who called former President Barack Obama a terrorist. A former employee of Republican MP Devin Nunes who wrote a memo accusing federal investigators of anti-Trump prejudice. And a close ally of former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn, whom a former intelligence officer described to me as "dodgy" and "inherently untrustworthy".
These are the three men who will replace senior civil servants at the Pentagon this week. This is a quick series of personnel changes, with critics apprehending the president's plans for the military and White House allies cheering that he has finally put the "deep state" to flight.
After President Donald Trump sacked Mark Esper as Secretary of Defense on Nov. 9, it seemed likely that further changes in the Pentagon's senior civilian leadership would follow. After all, Trump had long empowered John McEntee, his 30-year-old former personal advisor, whom he tapped in February to run the President's Human Resources Office, to identify federal officials suspected of working against the White House agenda, and replace them with administrative loyalists.
The Department of Defense has always been a prime target due to its numerous clashes with the President and other senior White House officials such as National Security Advisor Robert O'Brien, government sources told me, namely over troop withdrawals and the use of the military on active duty to suppress protests against racism and police brutality.
"I feel like this layoff has been in the works for months, but the election gave Trump an opportunity to act," said Jim Golby, a retired Army officer who now teaches at the University of Texas at Austin.
And act Trump did.
Who is in the Trump Pentagon and who is out?
The first fall was James Anderson, acting director of policy planning, who filed his resignation on Tuesday (it's unclear whether he was asked to). Anderson often embroiled himself with the White House over the appointment of Trump loyalists to the Pentagon, which has led many to suspect that he was forced out of his position.
And that position was important. The Policy Planning Director is widely recognized as the third senior civilian in the Department of Defense. Those on the job must advise the secretary at the highest level on political issues ranging from deterring China and Russia to determining the types of ships, planes and weapons the military needs.
So it's unsettling to learn that Anthony Tata will take on the role. Trump had previously nominated him for the Senate-approved position, but his appointment fell this summer after CNN announced that Tata Obama was Twitter as a "terrorist leader" and Islam as "the most suppressive violent religion I know". Both Republicans and Democrats later pulled back to confirm the retired Army's one-star general, even after Tata apologized for his earlier comments.
The White House instead placed Tata in an unconfirmable role at the Pentagon, effectively making him Anderson's No. 2. Now that Anderson is gone, Tata has the job that even Republican senators wouldn't want him in.
On the same day, Anderson submitted his resignation letter, as did Esper's Chief of Staff Jen Stewart, paving the way for her successor, Kash Patel. Stewart's departure was always likely when Esper was gone.
It's also not surprising that Patel is placed on the highest rungs of the Pentagon, as he has popped up almost everywhere in the Trump administration. As an advisor to Rep. Nunes, Patel was the lead author of a 2018 memo published by the House Republicans suggesting that federal law enforcement was spying on Trump's 2016 presidential campaign. Trump replied that the report Patel wrote "totally confirmed" him.
Patel then worked in the office of the director of the National Intelligence Service as a top advisor to then-incumbent chief Richard Grenell before returning to the White House to lead the National Security Council's counter-terrorism team. In that role, he traveled to Syria earlier this year and became the first high-ranking US official to meet with the Syrian government in a decade to negotiate the release of two American hostages.
Patel will now be responsible for managing the Secretary of Defense's day-to-day business and advising him on important political issues. It's an important job, sure, but it really is more about administration and management than anything else. Because of this, some experts say that Patel is unlikely to change too much in his new role.
"It could be a sign of administrative incompetence as the chief of staff is not where I would put someone if I were really trying to disrupt harmful things through the Pentagon," Golby of the University of Texas told me .
A third senior civil servant – Undersecretary of State for Defense and Security, Joseph Kernan – also announced his resignation on November 10th. The retired Vice Admiral of the Navy and SEAL had served in the Department of Defense since 2017. A Pentagon statement said his decision to resign was "planned for several months".
In his place comes Ezra Cohen-Watnick, one of the most controversial figures of the Trump era.
In 2017, Cohen-Watnick, as the National Security Council's chief intelligence officer, combed old intelligence tapping, apparently to support Trump's unsubstantiated claim that Obama bugged Trump Tower. He even passed some of them on to a friendly Republican in Congress: Nunes. After taking over as National Security Advisor in February 2017, H. R. McMaster attempted to fire Cohen-Watnick but was prevented from doing so after Trump personally intervened (reportedly at the request of Steve Bannon and Jared Kushner).
People who know Cohen-Watnick say he is a staunch Trump loyalist who firmly believes that a "deep state" thwarts the president at every turn. "It is worrying that he has been appointed to his new position," a former US intelligence official told me on condition of anonymity to speak freely. "He wasn't supposed to be serving in government anywhere."
"I have never met anyone as shady or inherently untrustworthy as Ezra," added the official.
All three new candidates will join Christopher Miller, the newly appointed acting Secretary of Defense, at the Pentagon. The former Special Forces officer most recently headed the National Counterterrorism Center until he took over the helm of Esper on November 9th. Experts say he is politically linked to Trump but not a loyalist or a farmer, which may allay some fears that he will give in to a demand from the president in the next two months.
Why is Trump making these controversial personnel changes now? Nobody knows for sure, but it's probably not as scary as some fear.
When the resignations and appointments were announced, some feared a sinister conspiracy was afoot – that Trump loyalists had "buried" themselves in the Department of Defense so they could not be removed when Biden took office, or that there was one There would be some kind of cover-up or even that Trump was setting the stage for a coup.
But experts I've spoken to doubt these statements, suggesting that after the election, Trump finally had a chance to clean the house at the Pentagon and that he is hiring people more responsive to his desires in order to finally achieve something Some of the measures the Esper-led Pentagon had pushed forward – like the withdrawal of all remaining US troops from Afghanistan before Christmas.
Trump promised in October that these troops would be home by the holiday. But while the White House pressed hard on the Pentagon to grant that wish, Defense Department leaders resisted, saying instead that any withdrawal must be "state-based" – in other words, when violence in Afghanistan did not rise.
That sparked months of back and forth that ended with the White House being angry with the Pentagon. A White House official told me that O & # 39; Brien, the National Security Advisor, had a bad relationship with Esper and wanted him out, and recommended Trump that Miller take his place. Trump appears to have listened, and now the way is clear for the troop withdrawal requested by the president.
On Wednesday, Axios reported that Douglas Macgregor, a Fox News employee and a long-time campaigner to pull US troops out of the Middle East, has just joined the Pentagon as an advisor to Miller. This confirms the claim that the movements are primarily about an accelerated withdrawal of troops.
This statement was intended to dispel concerns that the real aim here is to have these workers "burrow" into the Pentagon, meaning that a Biden administration could not remove them from their posts. However, such fears are unfounded, according to Loren DeJonge Schulman, a senior fellow at the Center for New American Security Think Tank in Washington, DC.
She told me that all of the Pentagon's new civilian leaders are political candidates. Biden can then easily have them removed once he takes office in January. "Political candidates serve the president for pleasure," Schulman said.
Taken together, vigilance and skepticism about the movements are completely fair and justified. However, there is no evidence that anything nefarious is going on, at least not yet.
Are you helping keep Vox free for everyone?
Millions of people rely on Vox to understand how Washington policy choices, from health care to unemployment to housing, can affect their lives. Our work is well-sourced, research-oriented, and thorough. And that kind of work requires resources. Even after the economy recovers, advertising alone will never be enough to support it. If you've already contributed to Vox, thank you. If you don't, you are helping us keep our journalism free for everyone by making a financial contribution of just $ 3 today.